Current State

Current State
Updated with a fancy new watering system

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Where My Idea Came From...

I work at the local paper, and one of the highlights of my job is choosing the "extra content" that goes in to fill up pages we don't have ads or content for. They're called SDP pages, and there was one titled Tube Garden with an article by Clare Howard that caught my eye.

It highlighted a man named Maj. Clark Davis and his PVC pipe garden. HE said in the article that he had heard about it on Survival Blog and tried it because he "Didn't want to invest in a rototiller or put up a fence to keep out rabbits...didn't want to tear up [his] lawn and [he] didn't want to spend hours weeding.

That sounded like a pretty sweet deal to me, so I checked out the Survival Blog. For the life of me, I couldn't find anything specifically talking about a pipe garden. So, I Googled "pipe garden". To my surprise and delight, I came across a lot of ideas, including this blog for very generic PVC Pipe building ideas by Peter Duke in Orlando, FL.

Davis' concept (according to Howard's article) included 10' long 6" diameter PVC pipes. He hung them horizontally on three 4x4 posts set in concrete, with the lowest at 1.5' off the ground. He covered the ends of the pipes with screen and drilled a 2" hole each foot. Duke's blog said he used 4" pipe with 2.5" holes, and instead of using a sprinkler like Davis, Duke installed a drip irrigation system.

Looking over all the information I had, I decided to build a garden of my own, modifying the suggestions I'd found and drawing up the plans I intended to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment